Beer has been brewed in Cropton since 1613. The early brews were illegal, and any wrong do-ers were sent to York Gaol. It’s likely that the local women helped in the production of the earlier beers, and the ‘Ale Wives’ as they were known, were often cursed if they produced a bad brew.
In 1984, the ancient craft of brewing returned to the village when Cropton Brewery was established in the cellars of the New Inn. Customers enjoyed the first brew of ‘Two Pints’ to such an extent that extra beer was produced to supply outlets further afield. In 1994, the brewery was built at ‘Woolcroft’, the farmland behind the New Inn. Within a year production had doubled. The same year saw the introduction of their first bottle-conditioned beer.
Phone 01751 417330
Fax 01751 417582