Hut Circles still evident on the hill just behind the present village. Archaeological investigation shows these Huts as being used from around 3000BC to as recently as 1250 AD.

The name Moulin is derived from the word Maohlinn – the ‘linn’ being quite common in Scotland, and meaning ‘Smooth Rocks or Calm Water’. Thus the village is likely to have been named after the Smooth Rounded Hill just above the present village, where the Hut Circles lie, though some suggest it could relate to an old lake ( now drained) below the present village, which had an island on which a medieval castle was built.

Moulin Inn & Brewery
2 Baledmund Road
PH16 5EL

Phone    01796 472196
Fax    01796 474098